Why Hire Veterans?
Veterans have critical skills and talents that enable co-ops to accomplish their mission of empowering communities.
Veterans add value to our cooperative workforce because they:
- Have extensive technical, leadership and safety skills
- Are mission-driven
- Have received crisis and risk management training
- Are adaptable and have great problem solving skills
- Work efficiently, effectively and diligently in high-pressure, and fast-paced environments
Similarities between Electric Co-ops and Military
- The military’s core values align perfectly with the seven cooperative principles.
- Cooperatives and the military are both voluntary in nature and appreciate autonomy.
- Both prioritize a respect for procedure, a concern for community and a strong organizational commitment.
“The military have skills that may not be perfectly matched, but we can train them so they can grow into the opportunity. Co-ops, offer solid jobs with great pay and great benefits and great opportunity to advance.”
Meet the Coalition
In partnership with seven founding co-ops, NRECA created a coalition of co-ops who are successfully engaging their communities to honor veterans and provide them with meaningful career opportunities at their co-op.
Use the Getting Connected Guide to build your network of supporters and to collaborate with organizations that can help you successfully attract, hire and retain your veterans and military spouses.